Exercise 1: Choose the Correct Relative Pronoun
In the following sentences, choose the correct relative pronoun from the options given in brackets.
- He is the artist __ (who/whom) painted the mural in the town square.
- We visited the zoo, __ (which/that) is a popular tourist attraction.
- The gardener, to __ (whom/who) we gave the plants, has done a wonderful job.
- This is the historian __ (whose/whom) book I was talking about.
- The idea __ (that/which) you have proposed is impractical.
Exercise 2: Fill in the Blanks
Fill in the blanks with appropriate relative pronouns: who, that, which, whom, armed with whom,whose.
- This is the woman __ novel has won a Pulitzer Prize.
- They are the scientists __ recently discovered a new planet.
- That's the dog __ bit me.
- Here comes the girl __ I told you about.
- I met a policeman __ his help, I found my lost wallet.
Exercise 3: Replace or Omit Relative Pronouns
In the following sentences, replace the relative pronoun with a personal one or omit it if not necessary.
- The man who is sitting over there is my uncle.
- Do you see the woman whom is talking to the manager?
- These are the shoes which I bought yesterday.
- This is the place that I was born.
- I don't know the person whom you are speaking about.
Exercise 4: Multiple Choice Questions
Choose the correct relative pronoun for the following sentences:
- He’s the man __ stole my purse! (that/which)
- The book ____ is on the desk is mine. (whose/which)
- The woman ____ you met at the party called for you. (whom/who)
- That’s the park __ I used to play as a child. (where/which)
- The flowers __ are in the vase are beautiful. (that/whose)
Answers to Exercise 1
Answers to Exercise 2
Answers to Exercise 3
- The man sitting over there is my uncle.
- Do you see the woman talking to the manager?
- These are the shoes I bought yesterday.
- This is the place I was born.
- I don't know the person you are speaking about.
Answers to Exercise 4