Exercise 1: Fill in the Blank
In this exercise, you need to complete each sentence with the appropriate correlative conjunction.
- ________ I visit my grandparents, __________ I realise how much I miss them. (The more…, the more)
- We can eat out for dinner __________ we can cook at home. (or…, or)
- _________ you finish your work early, __________ you can go home. (not only…, but also)
- He is __________ friendly __________ helpful. (both…, and)
- _________ she was tired, __________ she still helped me with my homework. (although…yet)
Exercise 2: Multiple Choice Questions
In this exercise, select the correct correlative conjunction that fits the context of the sentence:
- ________ everyone likes to go hiking, _________ I find it very refreshing and energizing. (although…yet)
- You can either stay here _________ go to the park. (or… or)
- We had __________ ice cream __________ cake for dessert. (both… and)
- __________ you decide to study harder, __________ you will get better grades. (The more… the more)
- _________ my mom is a good cook, ___________ my dad is not. (while… yet)
Exercise 3: Match the Correlative Conjunctions
Match the pairs of correlative conjunctions from column A and column B:
- Not only…
- The more…
- …but also
- …the more
Write your answers as – (A# – B#). For example, if you think "Not only…" matches with "…but also", your answer would be A1 – B2.
Exercise 4: Creating Sentences Using Correlative Conjunctions
Using the given correlative conjunctions, write five sentences of your own:
- Neither… nor
- Not only… but also
- The more… the more
- The more I visit my grandparents, the more I realise how much I miss them.
- We can eat out for dinner or we can cook at home.
- Not only you finish your work early, but also you can go home.
- He is both friendly and helpful.
- Although she was tired, yet she still helped me with my homework.
- Although everyone likes to go hiking, yet I find it very refreshing and energizing.
- You can either stay here or go to the park.
- We had both ice cream and cake for dessert.
- The more you decide to study harder, the more you will get better grades.
- While my mom is a good cook, yet my dad is not.
- A1 – B2
- A2 – B3
- A3 – B1
- A4 – B4
- A5 – B5
This part is open-ended for students to construct their own sentences and should be corrected accordingly by the teacher or instructor.