Exercise 1: Identifying Passive Voice
In the following sentences, identify if the sentence is written in the passive voice or not.
- The cat chased the mouse.
- The cake was eaten by John.
- The letter is being written by Sarah.
- Samuel will fix the car.
- The show was watched by millions.
Exercise 2: The correct form of the verb
Choose the correct form of the verb to complete the sentence in the passive voice.
- The cake ______________ (eat) by the kids.
- The car ______________ (wash) tomorrow.
- The piano ______________ (play) by the musician.
- The letter ______________ (write) by my dad.
- The windows ______________ (clean) last weekend.
- was eaten
- will be washed
- is being played
- was written
- were cleaned
Exercise 3: Transform sentences from Active to Passive Voice
Rewrite the following sentences in the passive voice.
- My mom is making dinner.
- I took the dog for a walk.
- The gardener waters the plants every evening.
- They have finished the project.
- Tom will buy a new phone.
- Dinner is being made by my mom.
- The dog was taken for a walk by me.
- The plants are watered by the gardener every evening.
- The project has been finished by them.
- A new phone will be bought by Tom.
Exercise 4: Multiple Choice Questions
Choose the correct passive voice option.
- The papers ________are printed__________ (was printed, are printed, is printed) every day.
- The song ___________ (is sung, was sung, were sung) by her was beautiful.
- The house _________ (was paint, will be painted, is being painted) next month.
- The emails ___________ (are send, was send, will be sent) tomorrow.
- The plants ___________ (were watered, is watered, are being watered) by the gardener.
- are printed
- was sung
- will be painted
- will be sent
- were watered
Exercise 5: Fill in the blanks
Complete the following sentences in passive voice.
- The painting ________ finished by the artist.
- She ________ praised for her excellent work.
- His bike ________ stolen yesterday.
- The children ________ told to behave themselves.
- The money ________ donated to the charity by the rich businessman.