Exercise 01: Completing the Sentence with Appropriate Words
In this exercise, you will have to complete each sentence by selecting an appropriate verb from the word pool. After selecting the verb, you will add '-ing' to transform it into a gerund. Here is the word pool:
- She enjoys ________ in her free time.
- We saw him ________ in the park this morning.
- He avoids ________ as he is a terrible cook.
- Did you finish ________ for the exam?
- The kids are ________ in the pool.
Exercise 02: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Select the correct verb+ing (gerund) structure suitable for each sentence.
- She has been thinking about _________ (buying/buy) a new car.
- After _________ (working/worked) all day, Jane looks exhausted.
- We enjoyed _________ (listening/listen) to the live band.
- He quit _________ (smoking/smoke) last year.
- The guests look forward to _________ (eating/eat) the delicious food.
Exercise 03: Fill in the Blanks
Add the correct verb + '-ing' form from the brackets into the sentences.
- We postponed ________ until next week. (decide)
- I love ________. It's so relaxing. (garden)
- He mentioned ________ next month. (travel)
- You should avoid ________ fatty foods. (eat)
- She can't resist ________ chocolates. (eat)
Exercise 04: Combine the Sentences Using Particles
For this exercise, you are asked to combine each pair of sentences using a particle ('and', 'so', or 'but').
- The teacher explained the problem. The students understood it.
- You wanted to go to the party. You were too tired.
- We had a lot of homework. We could not watch the movie.
- She is a successful lawyer. She is not happy.
- The weather was beautiful. We decided to go for a walk.
- The teacher explained the problem and the students understood it.
- You wanted to go to the party but you were too tired.
- We had a lot of homework so we could not watch the movie.
- She is a successful lawyer but she is not happy.
- The weather was beautiful so we decided to go for a walk.