Exercise 1: Identify the Subordinating Conjunction
In the following sentences, identify the subordinating conjunction. Enter your answer in the space provided.
- Until we complete our work, we cannot leave.
- I stayed up late because I had work to do.
- Unless you leave now, you will miss the bus.
- She can leave whenever she needs to.
- Because she left her bag at home, she had to go back.
Exercise 2: Fill in the Blanks
Fill in the blanks in the following sentences with suitable subordinating conjunctions. Use the following options: 'unless', 'while', 'although', 'if', 'until'. Insert your answers in the spaces provided.
- ____ he studies hard, he will pass the exam.
- I cannot leave ____ my work is done.
- ____ it's raining, we will still go out.
- ____ you are here, fetch me a glass of water.
- ____ we were walking, we saw the rainbow.
Exercise 3: Choose the correct Subordinating Conjunction
Choose the correct subordinating conjunction to complete the sentence. Enter your option in the spaces provided.
- She will not go (unless/if) you accompany her.
- The game will not start (although/until) everyone arrives.
- (While/Unless) studying, he does not like to be disturbed.
- They remained calm (although/because) it was a stressful situation.
- You can go outside (if/while) it stops raining.
Exercise 4: Combine the Sentences using Subordinating Conjunctions
Combine the following pairs of sentences into one using a suitable subordinating conjunction. Write your answer in the spaces provided.
- I went to bed. I felt tired.
- She failed the exam. She didn’t study.
- He will buy a car. He gets a job.
- We will go for a picnic. It does not rain tomorrow.
- You water the plants. They will die.
The solution to these exercises are:
- Exercise 1: 1. Until 2. Because 3. Unless 4. Whenever 5. Because
- Exercise 2: 1. If 2. Until 3. Although 4. While 5. While
- Exercise 3: 1. Unless 2. Until 3. While 4. Although 5. If
- Exercise 4: 1. I went to bed because I felt tired. 2. She failed the exam because she didn’t study. 3. He will buy a car if he gets a job. 4. We will go for a picnic if it does not rain tomorrow. 5. Unless you water the plants, they will die.