Exercise 1: Subject-verb Agreement
Choose the correct verb that agrees with the subject in each sentence.
- 1. The cat ( is / are) on the roof.
- 2. The dogs ( barks / bark) at the mailman.
- 3. My friend and I (takes / take) the bus to school.
- 4. Neither of the boys (is / are) at the park today.
1. is, 2. bark, 3. take, 4. is
Exercise 2: Pronoun Antecedent Agreement
Choose the correct pronoun that agrees with its antecedent.
- 1. Everyone has (his/her, their) own opinions.
- 2. The team celebrated with (its, their) coach.
- 3. Neither of the sisters did (her, their) chores.
- 4. The group made (its, their) decision.
1. his/her, 2. its, 3. her, 4. its
Exercise 3: Agreement in Number
Choose the word that agrees in number with the noun in each sentence.
- 1. I have two (cat / cats).
- 2. There are several (mouse / mice) in the attic.
- 3. She bought some (flower / flowers) for her mother.
- 4. There were three (children / childs) playing in the park.
1. cats, 2. mice, 3. flowers, 4. children
Exercise 4: Agreement in Person
Choose the correct verb form that agrees in person with the subject.
- 1. I (am / is / are) from Canada.
- 2. You (has / have) done a great job.
- 3. He (don't / doesn't) like broccoli.
- 4. We (was / were) at the cinema last night.
1. am, 2. have, 3. doesn't, 4. were
Exercise 5: Fill in the Blanks
Fill in each blank with the word that agrees with the subject.
- 1. Either the father or the sons ___ (is / are) going to the store.
- 2. The council ___ (is / are) voting on the proposal today.
- 3. The team ___ (was / were) awarded the trophy.
- 4. Each of the students ___ (has / have) to submit the assignment by Friday.
1. are, 2. is, 3. was, 4. has