The verb ending in –ing can be used as an adjective to modify a noun.
As an adjective, the verb + ing comes before a noun.
Adjectives that end in –ing do one of these things.
(a) The –ing adjective tells us that something is still going on.
(b) The –ing adjective shows how something can affect us.
The verb + ing adjective can come after the following:
a helping verb
- It was a disturbing dream I had last night.
- It has been a tiring day for me.
- The movie was very disappointing.
- What she said to him was deliberately insulting.
- We really appreciate your helping to milk the cows.
- I can't understand his behaving in a strange manner whenever there is a full moon.
- She arranged for our going over for the game of mahjong.