Adjectives that end in –ing do one of these things.
(a) The –ing adjective tells us that something is still going on.
- What has become of my missing wallet?
- Some countries are experiencing a dwindling population due to very low birth rate.
- There are people who doubt the disappearing rain forest contributes to global warming.
(b) The –ing adjective shows how something affects us.
- It was a very tiring day at the workplace.
- It’s amazing that the university student is only 16.
- That noise he’s making is getting annoying.
- The –ing adjective can come before a noun.
We are running short of cooking oil.
- The –ing adjective can come after a helping verb.
It was a disturbing dream I had last night.
- The –ing adjective can come after an adverb.
The movie was very disappointing.
- The –ing adjective can come after the possessive adjective.
We really appreciate your helping us to milk the cows.I can’t understand his behaving strangely whenever there is a full moon.She doesn’t mind our going over for the game of mahjong.