Put a correct preposition in each blank space.
Check out your answers by clicking the sentences.
1. John soon rowed _____ the river and tied _____ the boat _____ the other side.
1. John soon rowed across the river and tied up the boat on the other side.
2. _____ both sides _____ the lonely road there were endless mighty trees.
2. On both sides of the lonely road there were endless mighty trees.
3. _____ the holidays I intend to visit many places which I have heard _____ _____ friends who have been _____ those places.
3. During the holidays I intend to visit many places which I have heard of/about from friends who have been to those places.
4. The new dam that was built _____ the river produces electricity _____ many parts of the country.
4. The new dam that was built on/across the river produces electricity for many parts of the country.
5. I made an urgent request _____ their help to look _____ the key _____ the storeroom.
5. I made an urgent request for their help to look for the key to the storeroom.
6. He parked his car _____ a line of parked cars _____ the building.
6. He parked his car behind a line of parked cars behind/beside the building.
7. _____ about two weeks we're going _____ holiday _____ the Sahara Desert.
7. In about two weeks we're going on holiday to the Sahara Desert.
8. I expect to return _____ Shanghai _____ about a week's time to continue _____ my pioneering research _____ why frogs croak _____ night and not _____ the daytime.
8. I expect to return to Shanghai in about a week's time to continue with my pioneering research on/into why frogs croak at night and not in the daytime.
9. Water splashed _____ my face when the bottle slipped _____ my hand and dropped _____ the basin full _____ water.
9. Water splashed onto my face when the bottle slipped out my hand and dropped into the basin full of water.
10. _____ the past few weeks, I was _____ hospital recovering _____ a mysterious illness. I was well looked _____ _____ doctors and nurses.
10. For the past few weeks, I was in hospital recovering from a mysterious illness. I was well looked after by doctors and nurses.
11. The front tyre/tire _____ my car was punctured _____ the way _____ a funeral _____ a friend who was a victim _____ a religious sacrifice.
11. The front tyre/tire of my car was punctured on the way to a funeral of a friend who was a victim of a religious sacrifice.
12. Yesterday, I was hurt _____ a fall _____ my home. After that, everything went wrong _____ me, such as knocking my head _____ the wall and the vase _____ the table.
12. Yesterday, I was hurt in a fall at my home. After that, everything went wrong for me, such as knocking my head against the wall and the vase off the table.
13. I got up late _____ eight o'clock. I said goodbye _____ my parents, and had to leave hurriedly _____ my breakfast.
13. I got up late at eight o'clock. I said goodbye to my parents, and had to leave hurriedly without my breakfast.
14. While waiting _____ the bus, I saw a motorcyclist stopped _____ the police _____ speeding and _____ not wearing a helmet.
14. While waiting for the bus, I saw a motorcyclist stopped by the police for speeding and for not wearing a helmet.
15. I couldn't sit _____ some weeks after I had a surgery _____ my backside.
15. I couldn't sit for some weeks after I had a surgery on my backside.
16. She swore angrily _____ me and walked quickly _____ of the door _____ looking back.
16. She swore angrily at me and walked quickly out of the door without looking back.
17. The sea was too rough _____ sailing _____ our small boat, and we ended _____ heading _____ the open sea.
17. The sea was too rough for sailing in our small boat, and we ended up heading for the open sea.
18. It's great to meet my cousin whom I hadn't seen _____ 2010.. We spent an hour or so _____ lunch and then _____ his place where we chatted _____ more than an hour.
18. It's great to meet my cousin whom I hadn't seen since 2010.. We spent an hour or so over lunch and then at his place where we chatted for more than an hour.
19. Her house is full _____ things as she likes to buy all sorts _____ things which add _____ the collection.
19. Her house is full of things as she likes to buy all sorts of things which add to the collection.
20. Last night, I dreamed _____ a policeman whispering _____ my left ear that I was _____ arrest _____ possession _____ the most powerful drug _____ the world.
20. Last night, I dreamed of/about a policeman whispering in my left ear that I was under arrest for possession of the most powerful drug in the world.