Fill in each blank with a, an, or the. Leave the blanks empty if necessary.
Click the sentences to see the answers.
Example: We had _____ difficulty finding _____ taxi to _____ airport.
We had difficulty finding a taxi to the airport.
1. I had _____ cup of _____ coffee.
1. I had a cup of coffee.
2. We spent _____ weekend at _____ beach.
2. We spent the weekend at the beach.
3. There isn't _____ drop of _____ water in the kettle.
3. There isn't a drop of water in the kettle.
4. You must fill _____ form in _____ ink. Here's _____ pen.
4. You must fill the form in ink. Here's a pen.
5. _____ king's coffin was accompanied by _____ guard of honour.
5. The king's coffin was accompanied by a guard of honour.
6. There are _____ woman and _____ girl living in that house.
6. There are a woman and a girl living in that house.
7. Our _____ new set of furniture is made of _____ teak.
7. Our new set of furniture is made of teak.
8. As usual, in _____ hour's time our hen will lay _____ egg.
8. As usual, in an hour's time our hen will lay an egg.
9. She needs _____ quarter of _____ kilo of _____ meat for the dish.
9. She needs a quarter of a kilo of meat for the dish.
10. He bought _____ shirts and _____ cap. _____ shirts were expensive, but _____ cap wasn't.
10. He bought shirts and a cap. The shirts were expensive, but the cap wasn't.
11. She has put on _____ lot of _____ weight since _____ last time we met.
11. She has put on a lot of weight since the last time we met.
12. She usually has only _____ glass of _____ milk and _____ apple for _____ lunch.
12. She usually has only a glass of milk and an apple for lunch.
13. There is _____ box of _____ candles on _____ top of _____ bookcase.
13. There is a box of candles on the top of the bookcase.
14. At _____ resort, we went out to look around _____ place.
14. At the resort, we went out to look around the place.
15. Last summer we booked into _____ villa in Lido, _____ nice old town in _____ west of _____ country.
15. Last summer we booked into a villa in Lido, a nice old town in the west of the country.
16. _____ movie was about _____ American who travelled in _____ caravan across _____ Gobi Desert.
16. The movie was about an American who travelled in a caravan across the Gobi Desert.
17. My uncle is _____ fisherman. He goes out to sea early in _____ morning. He catches _____ fish with _____ net.
17. My uncle is a fisherman. He goes out to sea early in the morning. He catches fish with a net.
18. That's _____ antique piece of _____ furniture. My father bought it in _____ Italy when he was touring _____ country.
18. That's an antique piece of furniture. My father bought it in Italy when he was touring the country.
19. What _____ pity we have missed _____ bus! We will have to wait at least _____ half _____ hour for _____ next one.
19. What a pity we have missed the bus! We will have to wait at least half an hour for the next one.
20. _____ tourist disappeared, leaving _____ suitcase behind in _____ hotel. _____ police were called in, but they couldn't find _____ missing tourist. It was _____ mystery.
20. A tourist disappeared, leaving a suitcase behind in a/an hotel. The police were called in, but they couldn't find the missing tourist. It was a mystery.